Maundy Thursday "Last Supper" - Judas






"Even my close friend, whom I trusted,

he who shared my bread,

has lifted up his heel against me."

Psalm 41:9

8

Maundy Thursday "Last Supper" - Judas


This is a dramatic reenactment of Leonardo da Vinci's painting of the "Last Supper," featuring Judas' monologue, for East Liberty Presbyterian Church's Maundy Thursday service (April 5, 2007). Judas is played by Chuck Nichols. Music is performed by Julieta Ugartemendia.

"Maundy" comes from the Latin word mandatum, which means "commandment."

A NEW Command I Give You

John Chapter 13

It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love.

As he washes the feet of his apostles at The Last Supper, Jesus sets the example with these words "you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

"I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill the scripture: "He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me."

"I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am He. I tell you the truth, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me."

After He said this, Jesus was trouble in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me."

His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant...

"Lord , who is it?" John asked.

Jesus answered, "It is the one to whom I give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish." Then, dipping the piece of bread, and he gave it to Judas Iscariot, son of Simon. As soon as Judas took the bread Satan entered into him.

"What you are about to do, do quickly." Jesus told him, but no one at the meal understood why Jesus said this to him. Since Judas had charge of the money some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the Feast, or to give something to the poor. As soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out. And it was night.

When he was gone, Jesus said, "Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once.

"My children, I will be with you a little while longer. You will look for me, and just as I have told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come. A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples if you love one another." ( John 13:30-34)

*
Video from: EastLibertyPC

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin