The Lord, Not Idols

"A man's god is that for which he lives,
for which he is prepared to give his time,
his energy, his money, that which stimulates him
and rouses him, excites, and enthuses him. "
David Martyn Lloyd-Jones
d
d
The Lord, Not Idols
Isaiah 44: 1-11 (NIV)


"But now listen, O Jacob, my servant, Israel, whom I have chosen. This is what the Lord says-- he who made you, who formed you in the womb, and who will help you:

Do not be afraid, O Jacob, my servant, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen. For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.

They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. One will say, 'I belong to the Lord'; another will call himself by the name of Jacob; still another will write on his hand, 'The Lord's,' and will take the name Israel.

This is what the Lord says-- Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come-- yes, let him foretell what will come. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one."

All who make idols are nothing, and the things they treasure are worthless. Those who would speak up for them are blind; they are ignorant, to their own shame. Who shapes a god and casts an idol, which can profit him nothing? He and his kind will be put to shame; craftsmen are nothing but men. Let them all come together and take their stand; they will be brought down to terror and infamy.
s

Today's Idolatry


Isaiah tells us, "Who shapes a god and casts an idol, which can profit him nothing?" We think of idols as statues of wood or stone, but in reality an idol is anything natural that is given sacred value and power.

If your answers to any of the following questions is anything or anyone other than God, you may need to check out who or what your are worshiping.

* Who created me?
* Whom do I ultimately trust?
* Whom do I look to for ultimate truth?
* Whom do I look to for security and happiness?
* Who is in charge of my future?

Take Away Points To Consider

"Idolatry is not only the adoration of images...but also trust in one's own righteousness, works, and merits, and putting confidences in riches and power." - Martin Luther

"Do not worship any god except me. Do not make idols that look like anything in the sky or on earth or in the ocean under the earth. Don't bow down and worship idols. I am the Lord your God, and I demand ALL your Love." Exodus 20:3-5

"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious...idolatry." Galatians 5: 19-20

"We easily fall into idolatry; for we are inclined to it by nature; and coming to us by inheritance, it seems pleasant." Martin Luther
s
Life Application Bible Study notes page 1243, Zondervan Press

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin