I Arise Today!


This prayer is often called "St. Patrick's Breastplate"
because of those parts of it which seek God's protection.
It is also sometimes called "The Deer's Cry" or "The Lorica".
c
...I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me:
c
God's MIGHT to uphold me,
God's WISDOM to guide me,
God's EYE to look before me,
God's EAR to hear me,
God's WORD to speak for me,
God's HAND to guard me,
God's WAY to lie before me,
God's SHIELD to protect me,
God's HOST to save me
From snares of demons,
From temptations of vices,
From everyone who shall wish me ill,
Afar and anear,
Alone and in multitude.
c
I summon today
all these powers
between me and those evils,
Against every cruel merciless power
that may oppose my body and soul,
Against incantations of false prophets,
Against black laws of pagandom
Against false laws of heretics,
Against spells of witches and smiths and wizards,
Against craft of idolatry,
Against every knowledge
that corrupts man's body and soul.
c
Christ to shield me today
Against poison,
against burning,
Against drowning,
against wounding,
So that there may come to me
abundance of reward.
c
Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man
who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone
who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye
that sees me,
Christ in every ear
that hears me.
c
I arise today
Through a mighty strength,
the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the threeness,
Through confession of the oneness,
Of the Creator of Creation.




SCRIPTURE: About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing songs to God as the other prisoners listened. Suddenly, there was a strong earthquake that shook the foundation of the jail. Then all the doors of the jail broke open, and all the prisoners were freed from their chains. The jailer woke up and saw that the jail doors were open. Thinking that the prisoners had already escaped, he got his sword and was about to kill himself.
s
But Paul shouted, "Don't hurt yourself! We are all here."
s
The jailer told someone to bring a light. Then he ran inside and, shaking with fear, fell down before Paul and Silas. He brought them outside and said, "Men, what must I do to be saved?"
s
They said to him, "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved -- you and all the people in your house." So Paul and Silas told the message of the Lord to the jailer and all the people in his house. At that hour of the night the jailer took Paul and Silas and washed their wounds. Then he and all his people were baptized immediately. After this the jailer took Paul and Silas home and gave them food. He and his family were very happy because they now believed in God.

The next morning, the Roman officers sent the police to tell the jailer, "Let these men go free."
s
The jailer said to Paul, "The officers have sent an order to let you go free. You can leave now. Go in peace."
s
But Paul said to the police, "They beat us in public without a trial, even though we are Roman citizens. And they threw us in jail. Now they want to make us go away quietly. No! Let them come themselves and bring us out."
s
The police told the Roman officers what Paul said. When the officers heard that Paul and Silas were Roman citizens, they were afraid. So they came and told Paul and Silas they were sorry and took them out of jail and asked them to leave the city. So when they came out of the jail, they went to Lydia's house where they saw some of the believers and encouraged them. Then they left. Acts 16:16-40
3
SITUATION: During his second missionary journey, Paul visted and encourage churches stablished during his first journey. Despite persecution, Paul boldy shared the gospel wherever he went.
3
OBSERVATION: Even when we are persecuted for the sake of the gospel, God can make us a powerful testimony. His Holy Spirit will work through us as we reach out to those around us.
3
APPLICATION Where can you witness for Christ today: your home, church, shcool, community? Put your trust in him. Say a word for Jesus.
3
EXPLORATION Trust - Psalm 9:10; 22:4; 37:5; 125:1; Proverbs 28:25; 29:25; Nahum 1:1; 1 Corinthians 4:2.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin