John Spoke Freely

John Spoke Freely


Here is the truth John (the Baptist) told when the Jews in Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him, "Who are you?"

John spoke freely and did not refuse to answer.

He said, "I am not the Christ."

So they asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?"

He answered, "No, I am not."

"Are you the Prophet?" they asked.

He answered, "No."

Then they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to tell those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?"

John told them in the words of the prophet Isaiah:


"I am the voice of one calling out in the desert:
'Make the road straight for the Lord.'"


Some Pharisees who had been sent asked John: "If you are not the Christ or Elijah or the Prophet, why do you baptize people?"

John answered, "I baptize with water, but there is one here with you that you don't know about. He is the One who comes after me. I am not good enough to untie the strings of his sandals."

This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan River, where John was baptizing people.

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him. John said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the One I was talking about when I said, 'A man will come after me, but he is greater than I am, because he was living before me.' Even I did not know who he was, although I came baptizing with water so that the people of Israel would know who he is."

Then John said, "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven in the form of a dove and rest on him. Until then I did not know who the Christ was. But the God who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'You will see the Spirit come down and rest on a man; he is the One who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.'

I have seen this happen, and I tell you the truth: This man is the Son of God."


The next day John was there again with two of his followers. When he saw Jesus walking by, he said, "Look, the Lamb of God!" (John 1:19-34)

Praying God's Word: Lord, help me to keep my eyes looking straight ahead and fix my gaze directly before me. Make level paths for my feet and strengthen me to take only the ways that are firm. Help me not to swerve to the right or the left; keep my feet from evil." (Prov. 4:25-27)

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin