What's in a Look?


FROM THE HEART OF DR. REXELLA VAN IMPE

What's In a Look?


The instant I saw her I knew she was special.

She was only about 5 years old, and her smile simply captivated my heart. Something about her moved me and compelled my attention.

It was the closing night of our crusade in Roanoke, Virginia, and after the service Dr. Van Impe and I were sitting on the edge of the platform, shaking hands and visiting with people.

A young couple came over to me and smiled up at me so sweetly. There was such a wonderful expression of the Lord on their faces. I leaned over and shook their hands and greeted them, but they didn't say a word.

That's when I saw her -- their beautiful little daughter with a cherub face and an angelic smile that wrapped itself around my heart. I motioned to her with my finger and she came up on the platform and stood in front of me.

As I looked into her eyes, suddenly I realized that she couldn't talk -- both she and her parents were without speech. So with the little bit of sign language I know, I asked, "Do you love Jesus?"

And she signed back -- not only with her hands, but with her eyes and her heart -- "YES... OH, YES!"

I was so moved... so overcome with emotion that I also was mute for a long moment. There was something in her look that spoke volumes. Somehow I realized that this child knew the Lord in a way that few people ever will. She had an inner relationship with Christ so real and powerful that His radiance glowed in her face and His joy flowed out of her tender young life to touch everyone around her.

I looked down into the faces of the child's mother and father and saw their love and pride. And I also saw that they had that special look. One glance... and people could tell they had been with Jesus.

Because I couldn't understand the meaning of all their signs, I was unable to converse very much with them. But I had no doubt that they were able to speak to Christ, perhaps in a much deeper and more meaningful way than most of us do.

And they had taught their daughter well, and had led her to know Jesus. Somehow I was absolutely convinced that she had been on Christ's lap often, even as little ones were centuries ago.

Do you have "the look"?

What do people see when they look at us? Can they tell at a glance that we've been in the presence of the Lord?

I love the beautiful Old Testament account of how Moses went up to the mountain to meet with God and to receive the Ten Commandments. When he came back down into the camp of the Israelites, his countenance shone -- the light that emanated from his being told all the people at a glance that he had been with Jehovah God.

Some time ago, a local television program featured a man who was talking about how to have the look that was right for you. He was stressing the importance of choosing just the right makeup, hairstyle, clothing colors, etc.

I believe that this is important. But as I watched that program, I was struck with the thought that even if we make the outer person look his or her best, without the abiding presence of the Lord within, we can never achieve the look that sets us apart from the world.

What does it matter if people can look at me and say, "My, doesn't she have an up-to-date look -- her make-up, her hair, her clothes, her grooming are just impeccable!" If they do not see beyond the outer shell, how real is my Christian testimony?

For all believers, one of our greatest joys should be having people see Jesus in us -- sensing that there is something different about us without our saying a word.

The look of love

Not long ago, I had a beautiful, blessed experience. I was trying on a dress in a shop when the girl who was assisting me began to talk, and in minutes she was pouring out her heart to me. She told me her problems and asked for advice and help. After I counseled with her concerning her personal need, I proceeded to explain God's plan of salvation and her greatest need of all -- to accept Christ. So we were praying, and she opened her heart to the Lord. Later, when I asked why she came to me for help, she said, "There was just something about you -- a certain look that touched me."

What's in a look?

God help us to be so filled with His presence and so overflowing with His love that we have our Lord's look -- the look of love.



1 comment:

Beth Herring said...

I love this post! I just had a post today on my regular blog about the manifest presence of God. We were kind of on the same page in a way.

Thanks for joining in on my prayer blog. If you ever need a request for you and someone else, please don't hesitate to ask me.

In Him,
Beth

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin