Contentment

Post by LandScapists


Contentment

s
Satisfied? That is one thing we are not. We are not satisfied.

We push back from the Thanksgiving table and pat our round bellies. "I'm satisfied," we declare But look at us a few hours later, back in the kitchen picking the meat from the bone.

We wake up after a goon night's rest and hop out of bed. We couldn't go back to sleep if someone paid us. We are satisfied--for a while. But look at us a dozen hours or so hours later, crawling back in the sheets.


We take a vacation of a lifetime. For years we planned. For years we saved. And off we go. We satiate ourselves with sun, fun, and good food. But we are not even on the way home before we dread the end of the trip and begin planning another.

We are not satisfied.

As a child we say, "If only I were a teenager." As a teen, we say "If only I were an adult." As an adult, "If only I were married." As a spouse, "If only I had kids." As a parent, "If only my kids were grown" In an empty house. "If only the kids would visit." As a retiree in the rocking chair with stiff joints and fading eyesight, "If only I were a child again."

We are not satisfied. Contentment is a difficult virtue. Why?

Because there is nothing on earth that can satisfy our deep longing. We long to see God. The leaves of life are rustling with the rumor that we will--and we won't be satisfied until we do.


STUDY GUIDES

Describe what brings the most happiness in life.

Why is it important to realize that our earthly goods will be worthless in eternity?

What is the danger in seeking material wealth?

How can a person find true contentment?

Why is it difficult to be satisfied with what we have?

In what way can a desire for more money destroy a person?

Why is it tempting to trust in our wealth, instead of God?

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being very content), how content are you with what you have?


Words to Warm The Heart

"When we cannot find contentment in ourselves it is useless to seek it elsewhere." Francois de La Rochefoucauld

"He who is not contented with little will never be satisfied with much." Thomas Benton Brooks

"I have learned to manage with whatever I have. I know how to live modestly, and I know how to live luxuriously too: in every way now I have mastered the secret of all conditions: full stomach, plenty and poverty." Philippians 4:11-12 NJB

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 (NKJV)

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31 (NIV)

"Commit your way to the Lord, trust in him and he will do this." Psalm 37:5 (NIV)


The Devotional Bible - Experiencing the Heart of Jesus - Max Lucado General Editor, New Century Version, Thomas Nelson Publishers, Page 148

4 comments:

Still Learning said...

ha ha, you got me today!! I always find it so difficult to be content. Maybe it's 'cause I have four kids and somebody is always under the age of four. No idea. It is really hard for me. I have gotten much better at it, hopefully I will continue to do so. I need to write down your study guides on this. Thanks Charlotte!

Jenn

Andrea said...

Great post. It took me a while and I finally and I do mean finally figured out that the only way I would ever be content was through my Heavenly Father. I am most certainly still a work in progress in this area and thankful GOD pushed and prodded until HE got me to this place.

Blessings and prayers, andrea

christy rose said...

Those who find contentment have found great gain!!

Unknown said...

Contentment is a challenge. The good news is: we can learn the secret.

Paul said that he had learned it. We can too.

If you're interested in an exploration of the secret, check out Journey to Joy at: http://amzn.com/144218776X

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin