Like a Shepherd

A man and his dog by Plamen Penev

Like a Shepherd
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2, by Os Hillman
12-26-2009


He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart (Isa 40:11a).

Sometimes we can see Christ modeled in the most unusual ways.

Gerry, our neighbor, is a shepherd to the neighborhood dogs. Once Buddy, the roving black lab of the neighborhood discovered that Gerry was a wellspring of treats by simply pushing open his broken front door, he began bringing other dogs on his visits. They made themselves welcome in his front foyer.

One of them was an older cocker spaniel named Joe Cocker. But unlike Buddy, Joe didn't leave after thirty minutes. He ended up staying for two days! Finally Gerry called the name listed on his dog tag and found out that his owner lived up the road. As Gerry started to walk him home Joe stopped as soon as he reached the hill because he was too weak to climb it. So Gerry picked him up and carried him home. It was not a short walk and Joe was not a small dog.

Day after day this routine continued and I was amazed at how much Gerry grew to love that dog. He'd let him stay at his house for days at a time and Joe was content to just hang out with him and loved to sleep on top of his dirty laundry. Then one day Gerry got a call from Joe's owner to let him know that Joe had died. When Angie called Gerry to see how he was, he choked back the tears as he talked about him.

Jesus is often referred to as the good shepherd in the scriptures and his followers are referred to as His sheep He carries close to His heart. There are times in our lives when Jesus knows that we cannot make it up our own hill in life. It may be because we are facing financial ruin, debilitating health or insurmountable grief. But no matter what the reason, we can trust that Jesus is there to carry us.

Allow Him to pick you up so you can find rest in His arms and comfort in hearing His heartbeat as he carries you close to his heart.



Today's Prayer

"What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear, what a privilege to carry, everything to him in prayer." I can still hear my grandmother sing that old hymn to me. What a precious, loving saint. And what a precious, loving Savior! What a friend, that would lay down his life for me! So often we get wrapped up in the day, that we don't remain in that attitude of prayer. I know that Jesus is there, ready to intercede for me at any moment. I know that your Holy Spirit helps when I don't even have the words to say. I know that you know my heart and want to hear from my lips. Heavenly Father, thank you for the privilege of coming to you as a child to a parent. Thank you for calming me, giving me hugs in your own sweet ways, and listening. Thank you for your understanding ways...and even your correction. I pray that I will become more and more like the person you want me to be as the days go on. I love you and want to please you. I come to you in the name of Jesus, Amen.



3 comments:

Deborah Ann said...

The Great Shepherd comes to my mind as I read this. He gently guides, leads, prods...I would be lost without HIM.

Great post!

Andrea said...

Blessings and hugs,
andrea

He & Me + 3 said...

Beautiful. So thankful for His strong arms that hold me so close.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin