Their question --What hope do we have of surviving a stormy night?
My question - Where is God when his world is stormy?
Doubstorms: turbulent days when the enemy is too big, the task too great, the future too bleak, and the answers too few.
Even so often a storm will come up and I'll look up into the blackening sky and say, "God, a little light please?"
The light came for the disciples. A figure came to them walking on water. It wasn't what they expected. Perhaps they were looking for angels to descend or heaven to open. Maybe they were listening for a divine proclamation to still the storm. We don't know what they were looking for. But one thing is for sure, they weren't looking for Jesus to come walking on water. . . and since Jesus came in a way that they didn't expect, they almost missed seeing the answer to their prayers.
And unless we LOOK, and LISTEN closely, we risk making the same mistake. God's lights in our dark nights are as numerous as the stars, if only we'll look for them.
"When Jesus comes," the disciples in the boat may have thought, "he'll split the sky. The sea will calm. The clouds will disperse."
"When God comes," we doubters think, "all pain will flee. Life will be tranquil. No questions will remain."
And because we look for the bonfire, we miss the candle. Because we listen for the shout, we miss the whisper.
But it is in burnished candles that God comes, and through whispered promises he speaks: "When you doubt, look around; I am closer than you think."
READ MATTHEW 14:25-33
* What are the tough questions we face when we're are dealing with doubt?
* Describe a time when God has come to you or someone you know in a period of darkness.
* On what do we base our expectations of how God will help us?
* When Jesus walked on water, why do you think Peter wanted to go to Jesus on the water rather than asking Jesus to come to him?
* How do you think faith enables miracles such as Peter walking on water?
* After having witnessed Jesus' power and miracles, why do you think the disciples were still amazed when he worked a miracle?
* What kinds of things make you doubt God?
* What are your expectations of how God will meet you in life?
The Devotional Bible - Experiencing the Heart of Jesus; Max Lucado General Editor, Thomas Nelson Publishers, New Century Version.