It's Time for a Funeral



It's Time for a Funeral
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2, by Os Hillman
01-16-2010


I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me (Gal 2:20).

"There's nothing wrong with you that a good funeral won't solve," I said to the woman. "I'll even send you flowers!" She smiled in response. I was speaking figuratively to the woman who was stressing out about an issue in her life.

Her problem was the same problem most of us have - too much of "us" and not enough of Jesus and the cross. Many of the daily problems in life can be solved by coming to an end of ourselves so Jesus can take over. I believe this is what the psalmist meant when he said: "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints" (Ps 116:15).

The apostle Paul recognized the need for a funeral too when he penned these words: "What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life" (Rom 6:1-4).

Whenever we stress over a matter, get angry over a daily circumstance, or seek to have our own way - it is a sign there is still life in the grave. We need to fill it with dirt and smother the life of our flesh so that Christ may live freely, unhindered by the "old" man. Send yourself some flowers today. Have a good funeral.


Today's Prayer

Heavenly Father, today I am encouraged to pray for the people of Haiti who hearts are hurting and in much need. I pray for those who mourn and for those who are still waiting to hear news of family and friends. I pray for those who have the resources and money that they give generously. I pray that medical personal will volunteer their time to come and help and send medical supplies. I pray that other nations send help. I pray for rescue workers, earth moving equipment, much needed food, water, shelter and bathroom facilities. You Father know the needs of those who are hurting and are hurt. You Father see and hear their prayers. May their prayers be answered. Father may we always bring honor and glory to you through our words, actions and reactions to those around us as we set aside our own wants and needs.

Also father I pray for spouses and families of those who are vocational ministers, deacons, missionaries, air workers and leaders in the church. I pray for healing, where needed; for protection from harm, evil, and discouragement; and for blessing in the important roles they have. So often these "background" ministers have a "thankless" job and live under scrutiny of those who would nit pick. I pray that today, You will send a great thank you to them and cause others to appreciate these important people. May they feel a "pat on the back" for all they do. I pray that you will help them with life's daily challenges and bless them. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.


Enjoy The Journey - Naomi Carroll


No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin