My name is Pride, I am a Cheater


My name is Pride,
I am a Cheater
Beth Moore

In some ways, Christians have to be more alert to pride than anyone. If we don't presently have an issue that is actively humbling us, we veer with disturbing velocity toward arrogance and self-righteousness. We are wise to remember that Christ never resisted the repentant sinner. He resisted the religious proud and Pharisaic sinner. Remember, pride wears many masks. I once spoke on pride only to have someone remark afterward that she had too little self-esteem to have pride. Pride is not the opposite of low self-esteem. Pride is the opposite of humility. We can have a serious pride problem that masquerades as low self-esteem. Pride is self-absorption whether we're absorbed with how miserable we are or how wonderful we are. We are wise to be on the constant lookout for pride in our live. I believe we can safely say that if we're not deliberately taking measure to combat pride, it's probably doing something to combat humility.

If I could address only a few strongholds in this book pride would have been one of them. I'll tell you why. Pride is the welcome mat in every figurative prison cell. All we have to do to remain bound in any area is to refuse to take responsibility for our strongholds and repent of the sin involved. Pride is a monumental boulder in the path toward breaking free. Ironically, it probably kept a few people from taking this book to the checkout counter of a store. After all, what might the cashier think? So I'd like to brag on you a moment. You won't be holding this book in your hands if you didn't have enough humility to admit to the threat of a stronghold or two. You're a step ahead my friend. No matter what stronghold you are seeking to demolish, you might consider praying a few scriptures our of this chapter every day, adding a few of your own on the page provided. We will never waste our time when we pray about our tendency toward pride and seek to humble ourselves before God.

I'd like to share a little added initiative to demolish the stronghold of pride. These are some thoughts God gave me on the subject several yeas ago. May He use them to speak about the biggest injustice of pride it cheats whenever it plays.

My Name is Pride,
I am a Cheater
I cheat you on your God given destiny....because
you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment...because you
"deserve better than this."
I cheat you of knowledge...because you already
know it all.
I cheat you of holiness...because you refuse to
admit when your wrong.
I cheat you of vision...because you would rather look
in the mirror than out the window.
I cheat you of genuine friendship...because
nobody is going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love...because real romance
demands sacrifice.
I cheat you of greatness in heaven...because you
refuse to wash another's feet on earth.
I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince
you to seek your own.
My name is Pride, I am a cheater.
You like me because you think I'm always looking
out for you. Untrue.
I'm looking to make a fool of you,
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry...
If you stick with me
You'll never know.
s
s
Prayer Father, Your Word says You will break down stubborn pride and make the sky about the proud like iron and the ground beneath him like bronze. (Lev. 26:19) Lord, Your Word is drawing a vivid picture of the arrogant life. Prayers lifted to heaven will seem to hit a ceiling of iron, and life beneath the feet will be hard. Help me to be humble before you, Lord. the life of the proud will eventually and undoubtedly become very hard.
s
s
Praying God's Word - Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds by Beth Moore pages 38-40;
Broadman & Holman Publishers ISBN #080542351-6


3 comments:

Crown of Beauty said...

Dear Charlotte,
I quite speechless after reading this post, as well as listening to the Sara Lee Groves song you put in at the end. I have never heard that song before, I had to google the lyrics. Wow... What a beautiful song, what wise words from Beth Moore, a woman who has obviously walked her talk to be able to know all that Pride steals from us!

This poem is worth copying and putting where we will always be reminded of what this awful sin does to us.

Thanks for your insight in posting this today...

Love
Lidj

Heart2Heart said...

Charlotte,

Once again a great post! I loved the poem and how true each line of that is when we allow pride in, it cheats us out of God's goodness and blessings He has in store for us.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Heart2Heart said...

Charlotte,

By the way if you have a moment, I have an award just for you on my blog today.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin