Jesus: Our Great Shepherd

"In a world rocky with human failure
there is a land lush with divine mercy.
Your Shepherd invites you there.
He wants you to lie down.
Nestle deeply until you are hidden,
buried in the tall shoots of his love,
and there you will find rest. "
-- Max Lucado, Traveling Light



Jesus: Our Great Shepherd


Are you hoping that a change in circumstances will bring a change in your attitude? If so, you are in prison and you need to learn a secret of traveling light. What you have in your Shepherd is greater than what you don't have in life.

May I meddle for a moment? What is the one thing separating you from joy? How do you fill in this blank: "I will be happy when _______________"? When I am healed, When I'm promoted. When I am married. When I am single. When I am rich. How would you finish that statement?

Now, with your answer firmly in mind, answer this. If your ship never comes in, if your dream never comes true, if the situation never changes, could you be happy? If not, then you are sleeping in a cold cell of discontent. You are in prison, and you need to know what you have in your Shepherd.


You have a God who hears you, the power of love behind you, the Holy Spirit within you, and all of heaven ahead of you. If you have a Shepherd, you have grace for every sin, direction for every turn, a candle for every corner, and a anchor for every storm. You have everything you need.

And who can take it from you? Can leukemia infect your salvation? Can bankruptcy impoverish your prayers? A tornado might take your earthly house, but will it touch your heavenly home?

And look at your position. Why clamor for prestige and power? Are you not already privileged to be part of the greatest work in history?. . .


Try saying it slowly, "The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need."

Again, "The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need."

Again, "The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need."

Shhhhhhh. Did you hear something? I think I did. I'm not sure . . . but I heard the opening of a jail door.

(From Traveling Light by Max Lucado) The Devotional Bible - Experiencing the Heart of Jesus, Max Lucado General Editor, New Century Version, Thomas Nelson Publishers, pg 1494.

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE READING

"Keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters. Remember to welcome strangers, because some who have done this have welcomed angels without knowing it. Remember those who are in prison as if you were in prison with them. Remember those who are suffering as if you were suffering with them.

Marriage should be honored by everyone, and husband and wife should keep their marriage pure. God will judge as guilty those who take part in sexual sins. Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be satisfied with what you have. God has said,

"I will never leave you;
I will never abandon you." — Deuteronomy 31:6

So we can be sure when we say,

"I will not be afraid, because the Lord is my helper.
People can't do anything to me." — Psalm 118:6

Remember your leaders who taught God's message to you. Remember how they lived and died, and copy their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. {Hebrews 13:1-8}



No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin