Small Things, Big Blessings




Words of LIFE Weekly Devotional

Small Things, Big Blessings
by Dwayne Weehunt

Sometimes it is hard to wonder how people can live in the kind of suffering that we encounter in the slums of the world. We ask God, “What do you want us to do? The need is so great.”

Sometimes we see pictures of children smiling and laughing amidst all of this, but God revealed something to my heart once -- and this is the miracle of working in the nations: God will increase any gift given in His name.

Years ago on a trip to Haiti (with Terry and Rhonda Redmon, James' son-in-law and daughter), we spent some time with our interpreter, who grew up in Cité Soleil, one of the largest slums in Port-au-Prince. It was a massive slum and because it was under sea level, it filled with water when it rained. It was just nasty.

All week long, as we were out doing small crusades, our interpreter kept telling me over and over how God had given him a new house and how blessed he was. He described it in a similar way that you or I might describe it if someone had given us a house in a very affluent area. He was so, so blessed.

On the last day of our trip He invited us to come visit his house. We went to a large mansion compound that once belonged to some kind of land baron. But instead of leading us into the big, beautiful house, he lead us to this jail area where, in times past, they locked up their slaves. He was staying in one of these rooms and it still had bars on the door!

This guy stood in front of his home with his arms spread and the biggest smile on his face. He said, “Brother, welcome to my home!” I am not kidding you, it was like God invaded my heart and said to me, “You know, Dwayne, you could live here, but you would be suffering for me. He lives here and he worships me. He’s blessed.”

I was so impacted by this and thought, “God, do you really want me to live in a place like this?”

We have seen time and time again how people in India are so blessed by even the smallest gesture of love. It is not about what you give them, but about the heart with which you give it. It is all about the Father’s heart and the expression of the Father’s heart. How much more will they not be blessed when they realize that Jesus did something far greater than just giving them a meal, providing fresh water or educating their children, but that He loves them and cares about them personally!

We know that God wants to do something about the suffering. That is why He makes every outreach possible despite persecution and through the challenges the enemy devises to discourage His church.

I firmly believe the scripture in Psalm 12:5 where the Lord says, “I have seen violence done to the helpless, and I have heard the groans of the poor. Now I will rise up to rescue them, as they have longed for me to do.” And I firmly believe John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.”

God wants to bless all nations beyond our wildest expectations, and He wants us to be a blessing to others.


Dwayne Weehunt is LIFE's mission partner to India. He gave his life to the Lord in James Robison's office in November 1981. He and Leslie, his wife of 25 years, have 4 children.





Music video by Kirk Franklin Presents Artists United For Haiti performing Are You Listening. (C) 2010 Verity Gospel Music Group, a unit of Sony Music Entertainment


(Haiti Relief Song)

Are You Listening?

(I was hungry...You fed me. Naked...you clothed me.
They will know us by our love. )

Can't image how it felt as you lay there
Through the dark, through the heat, through the cold.
With your friend, by your side
Held his hand and watched him die
And you cried as you prayed for his soul.

I can't imagine how it felt as you stood there
Through the winds that would just not go away.
Kiss my wife. Tell my son, 'My work on Earth is done.'
You're the One that can still hear them say...

Is there anybody out there listening?
And does anybody know my name?
No, my friend we were not there,
But we're here and we care...
And yes, we feel your pain.
And yes, we feel your pain.

I can't image how you felt as you sat there,
Trying to hide the fear upon your face.
As the Earth begins to cry
And you ask the preacher, 'Why?'
Tonight, we can hear the children say...
Hear them say...

Is there anybody out there listening?
And does anybody know my name?
No, my friend we were not there
But we're are here and we care
And yes, we feel your pain.

And does anybody out there know me?
(Do you know me?)
Can you stop the clock, make this go away?
(Make it go away)
No, that cross you cannot bare
But God can and He cares
And yes, HE feels your pain.
And yes, HE feels your pain.

Please can anybody see,
Because my faith is getting weak
Don't know how much more I can take
Hear my heart and please don't deny it.

Is there anybody out there listening?
And does anybody know my name?
Oh, my friend we were not there
But we're here and we care
And yes, we feel your pain.

Is there anybody out there listening?
(Does anybody know?)
Does anybody know my name?
(Does anyone know my name?)
Oh, my friend we were not there
But I'm right here and I care
And yes, (yes) we feel (i feel) your pain.

Does anybody out there know me?
(Do you know me?)
Then stop the clock and make this go away.
(You can make this go away)
No, that cross I cannot bare
But He can and He cares.
Yes, He feels your pain.
Ooo...and yes, He feels your pain.
Yes, He feels your pain.
(Thank you, Jesus)

(The clock is ticking. We hear you.
Oh my, oh my.
We see you.)

He's got the whole world in His hands.
He's got the whole world in His hands.
(You and me sister. You and me brother. My, my...)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Ooo, yeah, yeah yeah, yeah.

-Kirk Franklin & Friends

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin