How to Apply Biblical Principles




How to Apply Biblical Principles

Dr. Charles Stanley


Psalm 119:17-24
Be good to your servant while I live,
that I may obey your word.
Open my eyes that I may see
wonderful things in your law.
I am a stranger on earth;
do not hide your commands from me.
My soul is consumed with longing
for your laws at all times.
You rebuke the arrogant, who are accursed,
those who stray from your commands.
Remove from me their scorn and contempt,
for I keep your statutes.
Though rulers sit together and slander me,
your servant will meditate on your decrees.
Your statutes are my delight;
they are my counselors.

The idea of applying biblical principles is often misunderstood. It is not so simple as hear, believe, apply—as if one were putting on a new doctrine like a borrowed overcoat. Two steps are missing between believe and apply: explore and discover.

To explore a biblical principle means studying Scripture to understand 1) what the surrounding context is, 2) what the principle means for you, and 3) what it reveals about God. Furthermore, we must consider how this lone principle relates to rest of the Bible. Digging in the Word softens hearts and minds so that the new doctrine gets planted deep.

As we plow further into Scripture to explore, the new concept rises off the page and becomes real to us. We discover how the principle works and the way to apply it properly in our life. In this way, the rich truth becomes our own. It isn't simply tacked onto our actions as an external influence; rather, we take the truth into our hearts and minds so that it impacts us from the inside out.

Making God's principles an integral part of our lives is a delightful experience. Instead of feeling a passing fancy for a new concept, people who make an idea their own rejoice in it. And they dig back into the Word to learn more of the Lord's statutes.

A believer who has little to say about God's work in his life is probably not applying Scripture. Simply hearing and believing doesn't make a concept yours. A principle is yours when you explore the truth, discover its place in your life, and apply the concept so that God can make it work.

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit http://www.intouch.org/





All Things Are Not Expedient
Pastor Adrian Rogers


"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." 1 Corinthians 6:12

If you want to be a victor in the race God has for you, you must learn the discipline of laying aside some weights. Many times these weights are good things in our lives. But good things are bad things when they keep us from doing the best things.

Life would be simple if it were a choice between good and bad. But typically it's a choice between good and best.

Our verse says "all things are not expedient." When you think of the word "expedient," think of the word "expedition." You are going somewhere, and if something doesn't speed you on your way, it's excess baggage and you need to get rid of it.

Ask God, "Are there legitimate, lawful things in my life that are keeping me from running the race You've given me?" If revealed, ask for discipline to lay them aside!


For more from Love Worth Finding and Pastor Adrian Rogers, please visit www.lwf.org.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin