Going Against Public Opinion



Going Against Public Opinion
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2, by Os Hillman
02-26-2011

"On the eighth day they came to circumcise the child, and they were going to name him after his father Zechariah, but his mother spoke up and said, 'No! He is to be called John.' They said to her, 'There is no one among your relatives who has that name.'" (Luke 1:59-61).

Have you ever had to go against public opinion or advice from family members or peers? Elizabeth gave birth to John the Baptist. It was time to name the child. Tradition said the name would be in honor of a family member. The family members were insistent. When Elizabeth didn't agree with them, they appealed to Zechariah who supported Elizabeth.

Zechariah was told by the angel Gabriel the name was to be "John." They were being obedient to the Lord's command which went against tradition and public opinion.

We live in a day when leaders are often driven more by public opinion than what is right. We are each called to live a life based on obedience-based decisions, not public opinion. Living a life of obedience will often go against the tide of public opinion. Jesus lived a life based on a purity of purpose and mission. The Pharisees wanted Him to conform to the rules of religious tradition. The result was He died because He lived to obey an audience of One, not public opinion.

Are you challenged to live a life of conviction versus pleasing others? Be true to what God has called you to do no matter the cost.


Today's Prayer

Dear God, Thank You that I am still alive and able to enjoy this day You have given me. Would You do me a favor? Show me how well I am doing in keeping my word and my commitments. Examine the desires of my heart, the words of my mouth, and the actions I take (or don't take). Do I follow through like I should? Do I keep my commitments? Please help me to be trustworthy and dependable. Please forgive me where I have fallen short. Help me to not over commit myself and to think and pray before I speak and make commitments. May my thoughts, words, and actions bring glory to You and not disappointment or shame. I trust You and commit my thought life to You as well as my eyes, mouth, hands, and feet, that they may be about Your business. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.


Today God Is First (TGIF) devotional message, Copyright by Os Hillman, Marketplace Leaders.






The Missionary Call
Dr. Charles Stanley

Matthew 4:18-22

I've heard every reason you can imagine for avoiding missionary service: "I haven't been to seminary." "I can't preach." "I'm too old." "My family won't go for it." On and on the list goes. Let me tell you that there are thousands of active missionaries who once thought that God couldn't use them either. I often have the privilege of hearing their stories of how the Lord turned resistance into enthusiasm.

People can offer God plenty of reasons why He shouldn't call them to spread the gospel. But His call is not issued for our consideration; He expects a response of obedience and surrender.

A believer is accountable only to say yes to God's call. It is the Lord's responsibility to equip the chosen for the work He's assigned. A personal plan has been mapped for each believer's life, and God provides the personality and temperament that suits. Then He adds skills that can be developed and the spiritual gifts necessary to fulfill His mission.

God makes His call with wisdom and discernment. He knows why He created you and what you're capable of accomplishing in His strength (Eph. 2:10). Rejecting the invitation to serve Him is foolish. It would be like telling almighty God that He made a mistake. But surrender opens the door to a lifetime of service, blessing, and joy!

Mission work can occur near or far. You could serve: at home by writing to prisoners; down the street by dishing out meals at a shelter; across the nation by providing flood relief; or in a foreign land by translating the gospel. In short, a missionary calling is whatever God tells you to do.

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.



Prophecy In The News: Satan's Long Long Story - Part 3

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin