Guarding our Hearts



Guarding our Hearts
by Max Lucado

Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life. - Proverbs 4:23

Jesus guarded his heart. If he did, shouldn't we do the same? Most certainly! "Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life" (Proverbs 4:23). Jesus wants your heart to be fertile and fruitful. He wants you to have a heart like his. That is God's goal for you. He wants you to think and act like Jesus Christ" (Philippians 2:5). But how? The answer is surprisingly simple. You can be be transformed if we make one decision: I will submit my thought to the authority of Jesus.


It's easy to overlook a significant claim made by Christ at the conclusion of Matthew's gospel. "All power in heaven and on earth is given to me" (Matthew 28:18). Jesus claims to be the CEO of heaven and earth. He has the ultimate say on everything, especially our thoughts. He has more authority, for example, than your parents. He even has more authority over you than you do. You may tell yourself that you are too bad to be forgiven, but Jesus has a different opinion. If you give him authority over you, then your guilty thoughts are no longer allowed.


Jesus also has authority over your ideas. Suppose you have an idea that you want to rob a grocery store. Jesus however, has made it clear that stealing is wrong. If you have given him authority over your ideas, then the idea of stealing cannot remain in your thoughts.


See what I mean by authority? To have a pure heart, we must submit all thoughts to the authority of Christ. If we are willing to do that, he will change us to be like him. (From Just Like Jesus by Max Lucado)


QUESTION What thoughts do you need to submit to Jesus' authority today?


TODAY'S SCRIPTURE READING


PROVERBS 4: 20-27

My child, pay attention to my words;

listen closely to what I say.

 Don't ever forget my words;

keep them always in mind.

They are the key to life for those who find them;

they bring health to the whole body.

Be careful what you think,

because your thoughts run your life.

Don't use your mouth to tell lies;

don't ever say things that are not true.

Keep your eyes focused on what is right,

and look straight ahead to what is good.

 Be careful what you do,

and always do what is right.

 Don't turn off the road of goodness;

keep away from evil paths.





"This song "Sing It" is from Josh Wilson's See You album. I can remember being jealous of my sister who got to be an angel in the Christmas program with beautiful tinsel in her hair, while I was stuck in the choir. It was a part of my childhood to want whatever my sister got. I think sometimes that I'm still growing up. We are all given different gifts and God wants us to use them. We can offer such a song of praise as we serve Him in harmony with one another. Lift your voice. He loves to hear his children sing." - Beanscot

Psalm 28:7 

The LORD is my strength

and my shield; 

my heart trusts in him,

and I am helped.

My heart leaps for joy

and I will give thanks to him in song.




No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin